Last week was a fun race in Texas for the Duck Commander 500 even though the race was delayed by a day it was still fun to watch and see who ran the fastest car! #22 Joey Logano had a lot to prove so it was exciting to see him win the race. This post is going to be a little different since the race is on a Saturday and no race next week due to the Easter holiday weekend. I will update the pole winner as soon as I know the answer! Other than that this week for me is based on points and the drivers to watch.
A Wife's Guide to NASCAR – Darlington Bojangles' Southern 500
Track – Darlington Raceway, SC
Race – Bojangles' Southern 500
Date – Saturday April 12th @ 6:45pm EST
The fun part about Darlington is the history of the track. In the fall of 1949, the loose soil of an old cotton field on the west side of rural Darlington, South Carolina, Harold Brasington saw more than just dirt dancing around that patch of land. He saw the future. He saw stock cars. The first race was scheduled for Labor Day 1950, and when the day finally came the stands overflowed. Brasington expected no more than 10,000 fans, but the crowd of over 25,000 shocked him. Fans practically stood on top of each other and they scaled the fence just for a glimpse of the action. Darlington Raceway drives wide open toward the fulfillment of its ultimate goal – to be the best facility in motorsports.
So what does the 500 stand for in the Bojangles' Southern 500?
That's pretty simple once again it is a 1.366 egg-shaped oval track so they race 367 laps for a total of 501.322 miles!
Points Leader 7 of 36 races: #24 Jeff Gordon
Pole: #4 Kevin Harvick – @kevinharvick
- First pole of the season
- Kevin has won the second race of the season but has had nothing but bad luck since his victory
- Running the Budweiser paint scheme this weekend so Dusty will be happy cheering for “Race Beer”
2013 Winner: #20 Matt Kenseth – @mattkenseth
- Second in points 4 behind Jeff Gordon
- since the Fontana race at the end of March he's moved up 6 placecs
#22 Joey Logano Last weeks winner – @joeylogano
- 4th in points 28 behind Jeff Gordon
- drives with team Penske and I have a few notes on the Las Vegas NASCAR race about him!
- Starting 2nd this week. Joey has been great all year in qualifying
Back to #24 Jeff Gordon – @JeffGordonWeb
- Jeff Gordon leads all active drivers in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series in laps led at Darlington with 1,736 laps led in 33 starts
- Races for Hendrick Motorsports
- co-owns #48 Chevrolet Jimmie Johnson
- When he was young and winning championships he was kind of the first nascar celebrity. Like appearing on more than just NASCAR ads, brought lot of new fans to the sport!
Post Qualifying Notes:
- Both #20 Matt Kenseth and #48 Jimmie Johnson failed to advance past the first round of qualifying and are starting 25th and 26th
- Frank's picks to watch for #11 Denny Hamlin and #24 Jeff Gordon
As always thank you so much and I hope you enjoyed my Wife’s Guide to NASCAR!
This post contains affiliate links