As a homeowner sometimes we have to wear many hats from project manager to repair man and everything in between. When the weather starts to change you might notice a leaky roof or maybe your shingles aren't in the best shape to take on a cold winter. The best thing you can do is educate yourself and ask questions. Hopefully after reading this you'll be on the right track to knowing if you need a new roof and hiring the best roof repair contractor!
How do I know if I need a new roof?
Your roof should always be checked and keeping an eye on the current state of the roof is always a good idea. The following are signs that you may need a new roof:
- Your roof is between twenty and twenty-five years old
- The shingles are excessively cracking, curling, or they are blistering
- There are many shingles that are missing and are torn or damaged
- The roof is leaking in many places
How much does a new roof cost?
There is no definitive answer as to how much a new roof will cost. There are a variety of considerations needed before an estimate can be given. From that information, a quote or estimate can be done to know how much replacing your existing roof will be.
Some of the considerations are:
- Size of roof
- Materials to be used
- Location of house (this is needed to determine which materials would be best for that area's weather)
- Is it for a new house or a re-roofing
- State costs and taxes – including disposal, etc
After that, you can have several contractors bid on the project to get the best price!
What kinds of questions should I ask a roofing contractor?
Getting a roof contractor to do your roof needs a little certainty and guarantee. A few of the questions you can ask a potential contractor are:
- Ask questions regarding their standing in their field of expertise. It will give you a hint whether they are really offering quality service to their clients.
- Ask questions with regards to their operation. This includes whether they have necessary permits and licenses to operate such business, and if they are carrying insurance in case there are unforeseen incidents that may happen during the construction.
- Ask questions with regards to the actual roofing constructions and the post-construction services including warranty. What services and warranties they offer in case leakages or damages happened to your roof within a time period after construction is always nice to be aware of.
What kinds of questions should I ask references of a roofing contractor?
Sometimes, you need referrals from people who know the roofing contractor's work you are considering, especially when you are unfamiliar with that type of business. As the roofing contractor for references, especially from customers who have had work done by him. Questions like the following can be asked:
- Ask questions with regards to their relationship with the contractor. Maybe the contractor is a friend or a relative of your reference. That will give you an idea how well that reference knows the contractor.
- Ask them if they have personally witnessed the construction of their roof, and at the same time letting your reference talk about the quality of service.
- Ask queries on the reliability of their service, if it withstands the different outside elements surrounding the roof.
Whatever decision you make being properly informed and getting multiple quotes is the best way to start the process. Remember that the cheapest quote might not always be the best decision!
Hire someone you can trust like Roofing Repairs Ann Arbor!