Grilling pizza is a great and easy way to make your favorite cheesy treat without compromising on flavor. Using a grill instead of a regular pizza oven has several advantages to offer including the fact that you don’t have to fire the grill up to high temperatures in the summer, the creation of a delicious brown crust and the infusion of wood or smoke flavors that will give your pizza a unique taste.
It is also a quick way to whip up easy dinners, especially if you have prepared and frozen the pizza dough beforehand. You simply take the dough out of the fridge, slap on your favorite toppings, place it on a grilling pan or pizza stone, stick it in the grill and serve with your favorite accompaniments when it is ready.
If you are ready to experiment with grilling pizza, below are a few quick and easy recipes to help you get started:
1. Grilled Chicken Pizza
This healthy pizza incorporates healthy ingredients like chicken, feta cheese, olives and tomatoes for a distinctly Mediterranean flavor.
- 1 lb chicken breast halves (skinless and deboned)
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese sliced
- teaspoon fresh or dried oregano
- 12 inch pizza crust
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium plum tomatoes thinly sliced
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup red onion chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped black olives
- Season chicken breasts with spices of your choice and grill over medium heat for 5-7 minutes or until chicken is well cooked through. Chop into bite-sized cubes.
- Mix the cheese oregano, black pepper, and other herbs of your choice in a small bowl.
- Brush the pizza crust with olive oil and place the oiled side on your pizza stone. Place in the grill and grill for 1-2 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from the grill and flip over on a plate using tongs.
- Spread tomato sauce on the crust and lay it with the grilled chicken, cheese, and herb mixture, tomato slices, onion, and olives.
- Place in the oven and grill for 3-5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the crust browned.
- Serve while hot with your favorite accompaniments. Serves 8
2. Grilled Pepperoni Pizza
This recipe yields a nicely charred pizza with juicy pepperoni slices.
- 12-inch pizza crust
- 4 cups pizza sauce
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese sliced
- 4 oz thinly sliced pepperoni
- Parmesan cheese crumbled
- 2 sprigs rosemary chopped
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Brush your pizza crust with olive oil and place directly on the grates of a preheated grill.
- Close the grill and cook for 2-3 minutes or until the crust is lightly browned.
- Place the crust on a plate and flip it so that the grilled side is up. Brush this side with olive oil.
- Spread the pizza sauce and top with the pepperoni and mozzarella.
- Place the crust on your pizza stone and put it on the grill. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the crust has browned and the cheese is melted.
- Take the pizza out of the grill and serve it hot. Makes 3 servings
3. Grilled Thin Crust Bacon Pizza
Bacon, cheese, and pickles combine to create a pizza that is bursting with flavor.
- 12-inch pizza crust
- cup pizza sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ pound bacon
- cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 red onion chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes sliced
- 1 pickle, sliced
- Green and red chilies, sliced
- Black pepper
- Prepare pizza crust as with previous recipes.
- Cook bacon until well done and set aside.
- Prepare the onion, tomatoes, pickles, and chilies.
- Place the crust on a pizza stone and top with the pizza sauce, cheese, onion, bacon, tomatoes, and pickle.
- Place the pizza stone on the grill and cook the pizza for 3-5 minutes until the cheese has melted and the crust is golden brown.
- Remove from the grill, top with the chilies, and sprinkle lightly with black pepper.
- Serve hot. Yields 6 servings
Grilling your pizza is a great way to prepare this delicious treat from the comfort of your own home. The ease of grilling allows you to experiment with different ingredients and to come up with combinations that will be fun to try out. Further, by choosing healthy ingredients and ensuring to grill for only a few minutes, you can ensure that you and your family get the nutrients you need without having to compromise on taste.
|Tiffany Watts is the blogger behind Dilesia, a food blog curated for newbies and experienced cooking and baking enthusiasts, with the aim of bringing back the glamor and fashion in the kitchen. Dilesia, “where sweet treats and good eats meet,” provides a portal for everyone to discover delicious recipes, new and upcoming kitchen gadgets, and easy (and surprising) ways to upgrade culinary skills.|