Baking is one of our favorite things to do this time of year. You can never have too many goodies especially with all the holiday visitors. A new favorite recipe of ours this year is peek-a-boo jam cookies. It is a fun cookie to make with the kids and delicious to eat! We hope you enjoy them as much as we do.
- 1 cup [url href=”http://www.floraproactiv.com.au/proactiv/default.aspx” target=”_blank”]margarine[/url], softened
- ¾ cup sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- ¾ cup jam, whatever is your favorite
- In a large bowl cream the margarine and sugar with a hand mixer on medium speed until mixture is smooth. Once smooth add egg yolks combining until incorporated.
- Add the flour and cinnamon, mix well on low speed until batter is consistent throughout.
- Divide the dough into two portions and pat each portion into a circle about ¼ inch thick.
- Cover each circle in plastic wrap and refrigerate until the dough has chilled for about 30-60 min.
- Once the dough has chilled sufficiently, preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare two baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Place the chilled dough on a floured surface. Working in pairs use a small decorative cookie cutter to cut out the center of the tops. Place cookies onto prepared baking sheets keeping the tops and bottoms separate.
- In the middle and upper racks of the over bake the cookies for about 15 minutes, or until the edges are lightly browned. Cool the cookies on the baking sheets.
- Once cool dust the cut out top cookies with icing sugar.
- Spoon the fruit filling onto the bottom cookies and place the cut out top cookie on top! Your cookies are now assembled and complete!
These light and delicious cookies are simple to make even though they look difficult! Just remember it is just two layers of cookies put together like a sandwich with jam. This dough also freezes well for later preparation or you can keep it in the fridge for a day or two if you prefer prepping the dough ahead of time.
What’s your favorite Christmas cookie?