Did you catch my tip for leftover rice last week? I'm sharing my Mexican Style Rice recipe this week that is perfect for those leftovers. The recipe is simple and I keep most of these items in my pantry so this dish gets used when I have no other ideas for a side dish and have some rice in the freezer. Just a tip if you're trying to save money I grab my tomato paste at the dollar store, it is usually 2/$1 which is a lot cheaper than buying at the grocery store.
- olive oil, a twirl around the pan
- 2 cups cooked rice
- ½ small onion, chopped
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1 cup water or chicken broth
- 1 tsp taco seasoning
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat and onions. Cooking until translucent. Sprinkle with taco seasoning and salt and pepper.
- Add tomato sauce and stir in water/chicken broth.
- Once combined add your rice "puck" from the leftover tip and simmer on medium-low until combined, usually about 15-20 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork and you're ready to serve!
I would love to hear ways you use up leftovers! Share some ideas in the comments below.