Recently I’ve had ups and downs with my weight due to my thyroid, and I’ve finally found healthy lifestyle choices that enable my body to feel its best. Making simple substitution in my diet has allowed me to feel better and have more energy. I’ve started making more meals from scratch with fresh ingredients and healthy substitutions like Astro® Original Balkan Style Yogourt.
Being a busy family, I have to make a meal plan every week, and that includes everything from breakfast to desserts because life is too short not to have chocolate right? I’ve had to do a bit of brainstorming, but I am still able to enjoy all my favorite meals but in a healthier way. I wanted to share with you two of my recent recipes – Alfredo and “Brookies”. I know you’ll fall in love with them just like we have!
Chicken Fettuccini Alfredo with a Twist
Here is my favorite pasta meal that will leave you wanting more!
- 2 chicken breast cut into strips
- 1 package of fresh fettuccini noodles
- 2 Tbsp Lactantia® butter
- 2-3 cloves minced garlic
- ½ cup water
- ¾ cup Astro® Original Balkan Style Yogourt
- ½ cup parmesan
- fresh nutmeg, grated (1/2 tsp)
- fresh parsley for serving
- freshly grated parmesan [same as above] for serving
- Heat a pan with oil and garlic, place in the chicken strips and pan fry until chicken is thoroughly cooked. Reserve for later.
- Make pasta according to directions on package, drain and reserve.
- Alfredo sauce: melt butter and garlic in a frying pan over med-high heat, slowly add in water and yogurt until combined and bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium. Add parmesan cheese and bring back to a boil, the sauce will slowly thicken. Once boiled add in your fresh nutmeg to taste. Remove from heat.
- Combine pasta, chicken and alfredo sauce. Put on the serving dish and sprinkle with fresh parmesan and parsley. Enjoy!
The chicken fettuccini alfredo is creamy and delicious served with a fresh loaf of bread and side salad. My tip for the perfect creamy salad dressing is make your own at home! I combine oil, vinegar and a few of my favorite spices then add a tablespoon of Astro® Original Balkan Style Yogourt to make it rich and creamy.
Next up , the best part – dessert! After a long week of making healthy choices and sticking to our meal plan I like to throw in a little surprise now and then. In our house chocolate is a yummy must-have, that’s why we created a combination of our favorite cookies mixed with brownies!
Yummy Vanilla Yogourt Brookies
A batch of these brookies lasts about five minutes in our house especially when we have company over.
- A single batch of your favorite cookies, our choice is chocolate chip
- ¼ cup Lactantia® Butter, melted
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup cocoa
- ½ cup Astro® Original Vanilla Yogourt, 1% MF
- 1 egg
- vanilla, to taste
- ¼ cup flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350°, prepare baking sheet and petite mold
- Whisk together butter, brown sugar, and cocoa
- Add in yogourt, egg and vanilla whisk until combined
- Whisk in flour and baking powder
- Place cookie dough in petite mold filling up half of the space, top up with brownie mix.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes
- Let cool for 5 minutes and remove from petite pan, serve with a glass of Beatrice® Milk
What recipe would you like to try to use yogourt as a substitute in?
CONTEST: Make Your Culinary Dreams Come True!
If you love cooking with yogourt, you could WIN* $10,000 to make your Culinary Dreams Come True! Whether it's a once-in-a-lifetime culinary adventure to Italy or a state-of-the-art kitchen makeover–your original recipe made with Astro® Original Balkan Style Yogourt could get you a chance to WIN* a Grand Prize of $10,000 or one of three Runner-Up Prizes and a chance to be featured in Chatelaine! Find Out How To Enter at Chatelaine.
Disclosure: As a Chatelaine Taster & Tester, I received compensation for participating in this program; however, all views are my own.