When looking through our finances lately I realized that our grocery bill was one of the higher numbers for the month on our budget. There are many factors that dictate how big your grocery bill is from buying name brand, stocking up, holiday preparation, companyís coming or even purchasing more meat. The good news is saving money on your grocery bill is simple, all you need if a few tips and youíll be well on your way to saving a few dollars at the checkout!
8 Simple Tips to Save Money on Groceries
- Make a meal plan. You'll know exactly what you need from the store before you go! Grab my printable What's Cookin' for a great visual.
- Watch for specials and coupons in store newsletters, and plan your meals around them – I love the Flipp app, Snap by Groupon and Checkout 51.
- Make a list and stick to it. If its not on the list, dont buy it. You'll love the printable grocery shopping list I have!
- Don't shop when you're hungry. That way you won't be tempted to buy things that you dont need. Bring a water bottle so you have a beverage just in case you start getting the hunger pains!
- Shop alone. Count on your bill being higher when you bring your spouse or children. Did you know stores plan on your shopping with your kids and have items at their height that will grab their attention? Remember that next time you take the kids to the store!
- Only buy things you know you'll use. For example, if there is a sale on veggies but you know you're family won't go through them before they turn don't stock up, it's that simple!
- Keep your eyes on the items on the bottom shelf where the prices are lower. I like to shop at the same grocery store so I know my way around so I don't waste time finding a product, this gives me a few extra minutes to double-check the shelves for better deals on the products I'm purchasing.
- Buy store brands when the quality is the same. Most of the time, it actually is the same product in a different package. Read the label and check the ingredients as well as nutritional value it is the easiest way to compare!
Once you realize how much money you are actually spending in the grocery store it is simple to save a few dollars. Keep a diary of your bills so you can compare how much of a difference these simple tips are making! Now if the perfect time to save money with the holidays around the corner.
What's your best tip to save money on groceries?