The kids love helping in the kitchen especially when it comes to making some quick and easy snacks they can have right after. I like to promote healthy snacking so whenever I can put something healthy into a recipe they love I don't mind them eating it. One of their favorite cereals is Chex and I always catch Dustin eating peanut butter out of the jar! So when I can across a recipe on the Betty Crocker site for Chex® Muddy Buddies® I knew it was a snack recipe the kids would love, so I adapted it a little to make it a little more Mom friendly!
- 1 bag of Chex or Crispix cereal (about 10 cups)
- 1 cup chocolate chips (or leftover holiday chocolate)
- ½ cup peanut butter (all natural if you have it)
- ¼ cup butter or coconut oil
- 1 T vanilla
- ½ cup ground flax seed
- 1 cup icing sugar (just enough to dust the tops)
- Put chex into a large bowl that you have enough room to stir in, set this aside.
- In a medium sized pot combine chocolate chips, peanut butter, butter, and vanilla. Heat over medium heat until all ingredients are well combined. While that is heating lay out a sheet of tin foil on a counter top.
- Remove from heat adding enough ground flax seed to thicken the mixture, I usually eyeball ½ cup.
- Add half of mixture to the dry cereal and stir, pour on the rest and mix again until all chex are coated.
- Pour the mixture onto the tin foil, lightly dust with icing sugar. You can "flip" the mixture and coat again but I always just leave it to dry on the counter after the first dusting.
- Let the mixture dry until it is cool to touch and you're snack mix is ready to eat!
Quick and Easy Muddy Buddies Snack Recipe
This recipe is so simple and delicious you'll want to make it for the kids all the time. My favorite part is the fact that it isn't really all that bad for you and the snack mix goes a long ways! Trust me the kids will be asking for this snack again and again.
What's your favorite snack to make for the kids?