I try to eat as clean as I can and prepare snacks and meals from wholesome ingredients when I can. One of our family favorites recently is homemade granola bars. I was surprised at how simple they are to make and they don't have any extra additives which is a bonus. The kids love them and making a batch takes about 30 minutes from start to finish.
- 2 1/2 cups of rolled oats
- 3/4 cup chopped nuts
- 1/4 cup of shredded coconut
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2 T flax seeds
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons of honey
- 2 tablespoon of molasses
- In a large bowl combine oats, nuts, seeds, dried cranberries and coconut.
- In a small saucepan bring coconut oil, sugar, cinnamon, hone and molasses to a boil.
- Immediately pour warm mixture over ingredients in bowl, stirring to evenly coat.
- Line a 7×11 inch pan with parchment paper, spoon mixture into pan and firmly press to make an even layer across the pan.
- Place pan in fridge or freezer for 30 min to 1 hour, or until completely cooled.
- Once cooled remove and cut into bars, place in an airtight container at room temperature, or fridge if you prefer.
This recipe is simple enough the kids can even make it, they might just need help with the hot pot and pouring the boiling liquids.
What I like most about the recipe is no batch is the same you can switch things up and add chocolate chips, candies, more coconut, less nuts or whatever your family favorites are. I love these bars for a quick and easy Mom approved snack anytime of the day!
What's your favorite snack recipe?