It is hard to believe we've almost been home for a week. Who knew there was so much to catch up on after being gone for almost two weeks. I thought cleaning the house, doing the laundry, changing bedding, and having a house sitter would leave us in perfect shape to return to home and easily get back into routine. Let's just say I was mistaken.
After our amazing trip to the Washington Coast – more to come on that soon – we arrived home on a Thursday night around supper time to unload the car make some pizza and veg out. Then the next day, Cheyenne and I woke up sick.
All I thought was “I don't have time for this” I was supposed to attend Taste Washington and get back into the school routine before Monday arrived. Needless to say, we spent the day being lazy, sleeping, watching Netflix, and pretty much-doing nothing. I have to say that was pretty nice but walking past a disaster in the hallway every time I went to the kitchen wasn't my idea of relaxing.
I'm not sure if it is just me but when I get home from being away whether it be a day, the weekend, or a week or two I like to get everything organized as soon as I get home so it appears as if everything is back to normal. Otherwise, it feels like I'm living in a state of chaos. SO finding balance after our Spring Break road trip was a little hard this time but what I usually do is:
- have a freezer meal ready for us when we get home so all we have to do is throw it in the oven (lasagna, pizza, pasta bake)
- when unpacking the vehicle put everything in the designated rooms – luggage goes to whom it belongs, laundry goes right to the laundry room, shoes go in the mudroom, etc
- we stop at the grocery store on our way home to pick up essentials – milk, bread, fruit and veggies this way we don't have to make a trip to the store in the morning
- get your two most used rooms organized first – for me, it is the kitchen and living room
- put on your sweats grab a glass of water (I always feel dehydrated after traveling) and start unpacking
- call it an early night so you can wake up feeling refreshed, ready to tackle the laundry, and get back into a routine
That's what works for me! I find planning ahead a little always seems to be the best plan but that's just who I am. What I look forward to the most when I get home is sleeping in my own bed for some reason I always miss it.
How do you find balance after a road trip?