In an effort to eat healthier and try new things we've got on board with replacing the meat in one meal a week with another source of protein. It is also a great way to save money and if you caught my latest 5 tips to make saving money quick and easy you'll want to keep reading. By now you've probably heard about Meatless Monday and if you haven't:
Meatless Monday is an international campaign that encourages people to not eat meat on Mondays to improve their health and the health of the planet. ~ wikipedia
So you might ask what is all the hype about. I started doing a little research and was honestly surprised at the money savings and health benefits related to skipping the meat in your meal one day a week. Trust me at first I questioned because I love my meat and growing up with hunters in my life we never have a shortage. Once I read up on the facts I was pleasantly surprised. Did you know that by going meatless one day a week you can:
- Lower your risk of diabetes: the risk of type 2 diabetes is increased with higher consumptions of red and processed meat
- Improve your eating habits: beans contain high levels of fiber, protein, folate, zinc, iron and magnesium
- Reduce your carbon footprint: The United Nations’ Food and Agriculture Organization estimates the livestock industry generates 14.5% of the man-made greenhouse gas emissions
- Save money: replacing one pound of sirloin beef at an average of $6/lb with other forms of protein such as bean $1.90/lb can save you $213 a year
As always I leave it to you to draw your own conclusion and do the research as to what is best for you and your family. All I know is that I can easily replace one meal a week and still make a hearty well balanced meal! A few of the things we're doing to go meatless one day a week are:
- Super simple slow cooker beans
- homemade tofu
- using lentils
And if you haven't seen this great recipe, Tex Mex Quinoa Sweet Potato Chili, you're going to want to try it! It is packed full of protein from beans, chickpeas and quinoa. Click on the image and it will take you over to the recipe!
So what do you think of Meatless Monday? I personally have to say the money saving tip is well worth it for me and so simple! Stay tuned for more fun money saving tips and Meatless Monday recipes!