Last week I shared my recipe for using leftover ham in the Eggs Benedict post, this week I'm giving you a way to use bread that is starting to go stale with my coarse breadcrumbs recipe! With Christmas around the corner and another turkey dinner I'm also going to save a little money by not having to buy breadcrumbs for stuffing and I can pre-season them to compliment the stuffing!
- a loaf of bread or buns, roughly enough to fill a cookie sheet
- Olive Oil
- Seasonings and Spices, if you choose
- Preheat oven to 375°F and spray a cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray
- Cut bread/buns into ½ inch cubes, this doesn't have to be precise just enough to resemble coarse bread crumbs.
- If you choose place in a bowl and toss with olive oil and seasoning or spices of choice.
- Bake for roughly 10 min (for light colored bread), 15 min (for darker bread), broil for a few minutes to add a little crisp at the end, turn oven off and open door slightly and leave breadcrumbs in oven for 10-15 min to further dry them out
- Cool before freezing or can be left in an airtight container for about one week
From the following picture you can easily see the steps and what I used to get two freezer ziploc bags full of breadcrumbs, can't wait to use them in my stuffing!! Might even share that recipe with you all!
The spices I used on these were:
- pinch of cinnamon but don't tell anyone that's our little secret 😉
This should make for a delicious addition to the stuffing! Or at least I hope usually I just use this recipe for caesar salad croutons.
Homemade always tastes better!