My kids are my world so their health and happiness come first each and every day. That’s why the whole day matters when it comes to finding the right balance of sweating, stepping, sleeping, and sitting. We are a busy family but we always put our well-being first because if we don’t take care of ourselves we can’t take care of each other.
The Importance of A Balanced Lifestyle for Your Children
ParticipACTION has a wealth of information when it comes to the Canadian 24-Hour Movement Guidelines for Children and Youth, aged 5-17, in a fun interactive experience. By using these 24-Hour Movement Guidelines put forth in Build Your Best Day platform you’ll have helpful tools to help achieve high levels of physical activity, low levels of sedentary behaviour and sufficient sleep for your children each day.
The pillars of the 24-Hour Guidelines for Children and Youth include these four movement speeds:
- Sweat – getting 60 minutes of heart-pumping physical activity (i.e., moderate to vigorous intensity) each day, including muscle and bone strengthening at least 3 days per week.
- Step – multiple hours of light physical activity is significant too, especially when it includes getting fresh air
- Sit – try not to spend more than 2 hours a day in recreational screen time or sitting for long periods
- Sleep – ending each day with uninterrupted quality sleep is essential. Consistent bed and wake up times, even on weekends, are essential. A general guideline to follow for recommended sleep is:
- Children ages 5-13 need 9-11 hours per night
- Children ages 14-17 need 8-10 hours per night
There are many benefits of Building Your Best Day while staying active for at least 60 minutes and limiting sedentary activities. Using this online resource, you and your family can efficiently plan out the best 24 hours for your children, and start making better choices today for a healthier tomorrow. You’ll notice an improvement in many areas of your life and your children’s including:
- Attention span in school
- Self-esteem and confidence
- Happier and healthier lifestyle
- Maintaining a healthy body weight
Finding the perfect balance of Sweat, Step, Sit and Sleep is sometimes challenging but we find a way to make it work. We are always learning and with tools like Build Your Best Day we are set up for success as individuals and as a family. I recommend downloading the parent resources – they share a wealth of knowledge and include ideas to get out and get active – including running from zombies.
Join my family as we get more active in the New Year.
What activities does your family enjoy outdoors?