I don't know about you but mid-week rolls around and we usually have a bunch of random leftovers in the fridge and a few onions or sweet potatoes kicking around. I decided to think outside the box and make a chili with leftovers and what we had kicking around in the cupboards. You're going to love this tex mex chili because it is inexpensive to make and only takes about 20 minutes to throw it all together.
Easy Meal Idea – Sweet Potato and Quinoa Tex Mex Chili
- 1.5 cups mixed beans (kidney, black, romano)
- 1.5 cups chickpeas
- 1.5 cups diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cups Quinoa, cooked (rice works too!)
- 1.5 T chili powder
- 1 T taco seasoning
- 2 cups water or broth of your choice
- Guacamole, cilantro, green onion, lime wedges for garnish
- In a large pot or dutch oven heat oil over medium heat and add onion cooking until soft and they start to brown.
- While the onions are browning steam the diced sweet potato in the microwave for about 5-6 minutes so it is soft when a fork is inserted.
- Once onions are browned add the water or broth to the pot and the seasonings stirring to combine, I find this evens the flavor of the dish.
- Once combined add the remaining ingredients and cook until heated thoroughly.
- Serve in a bowl topped with your favorite garnishes!
What's your favorite chili recipe?