Although the first thing that comes to your mind when you think of the term DIY might be IKEA furniture and decorating, when I refer to DIY I mean a whole lot of different things. As I keep trying to live a greener lifestyle I have come across lots of helpful tips for saving money by making things yourself, the best of which are listed below.
Money Saving Green Living DIY Tips
It's simply staggering the amount of cleaning products you have in your house that could be replaced by DIY versions using materials and ingredients that we all have in our cupboards like baking soda, vinegar and olive oil.
- Fabric Softener: Add half a cupful of white vinegar to your washing machine cycle to soften your washing.
- All-Purpose Floor Cleaner: Add half a cupful of vinegar to bucketful (1 gallon) of water and then clean your floors with a mop in the traditional way.
- Carpet Deodorizer/Cleaner: Sprinkle baking soda over your carpets and leave it for 30 minutes before vacuuming as normal.
- Air Freshener: Add 2 tablespoons of baking soda to 2 cups of hot water and mix in a couple of drops of your favourite essential oil or cologne to give a nice scent.
- Furniture Polish: Add either half a cupful of lemon juice or a quarter of a cupful of white vinegar to three quarters of a cupful of olive oil. Use this solution to polish furniture with a soft cloth.
- Tile Grout Cleaner: Make a solution of 2 parts water and 1 part hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle and spray this solution over bathroom and kitchen grout. Leave it to sit for at least an hour before wiping if off with a damp sponge.
- Toilet Cleaner: Flush your toilet and then sprinkle some baking soda into the bowl, spray it with some vinegar and then scrub it.
- All-Purpose Cleaner: Make a solution that is 1 part white vinegar and 1 part water topped with some club soda in a spray bottle.
- Disinfectant: Mix 20 to 30 drops of tea tree extract with 3 tablespoons of castile soap, some white vinegar in a spray bottle and then top up the solution with some water.
- Window Cleaner: Mix a quarter of a litre of warm water with 2 teaspoons of white vinegar in a spray bottle.
DIY Fridge Facial Treatment
We all like to look and feel our best and therefore we all love a good facial treatment. However, the majority of brand name moisturizers are made using harmful and toxic chemicals. Below I have included a completely affordable and non-toxic facial treatment.
What You Need:
- 1 Organic Egg
- 2 Clean Bowls
- 1 Spoon
- A Natural Face Wash
- 1 Towel
Crack the egg in half and pass the yolk from one half to the other over the bowl. This will enable you to collect the whites in one bowl and then you can put the yolk in the other. Mix the egg whites until they are foamy in consistency. Then take the foam and apply it as evenly onto your face as possible. You then need to let the solution dry on your skin until it firms enough that you can't smile. Next, wash the egg whites off with your natural face wash and then repeat the same process with the egg yolks.
This is a very effective treatment because the whites remove excess oil from your face and firm it up, while the yolks moisturize.