With my recent healthy eating plan I've been looking for a light and lean source of protein and one of my favorites is Turkey! Not only is it packed with vitamins and essential nutrients but we're also making a healthy choice for the family.
Turkey is easy to grill and can easily find ground meat, burgers and sausages at your local grocery store. I love using the ground as a substitute while making Mexican dishes and homemade meatballs. It wasn't just a simple change and I was always looking for healthy choices in our everyday meals while keeping things tasty and exciting.
Here are a few tips to help you incorporate Canadian Turkey into your meal plan:
- Turkey is a great substitute in chili, fajitas, sloppy joes, gyros, cabbage rolls, spaghetti and the list goes on
- I always prep my pan with olive oil or coconut oil as Turkey is lean and easily sticks to the pan
- Substitute Turkey for equal amount of meat protein in recipe
Still need a delicious and nutrient-packed recipe idea? You're going to love Turkey Sausage and Rapini Pasta! This dish is delicious served with a fresh green salad, sliced veggies and a baguette.
Turkey Sausage and Rapini Pasta Recipe
- 450 gr pasta of your choice
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4 turkey sausages
- 2 bunches rapini
- 4 tbsps olive oil
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsps salt for boiling
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ tsp hot pepper
- Salt a large pot of water with 1 tbsp salt and bring to boil.
- Prepare rapini by rinsing thoroughly and trimming stems.
- Boil rapini for 5 minutes and remove from water.
- Salt another large pot of water with the other 1 tbsp of salt and cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Grill sausages over medium heat until cooked through, 8-10 minutes.
- Heat a frying pan with 2 tbsps olive oil over medium heat.
- Crush garlic.
- Add rapini, salt to taste, pepper, hot pepper and garlic to large frying pan.
- Saute over medium heat until cooked through, 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Slice up sausages.
- Add pasta, 2 tbsps of olive oil and sausages to rapini mixture.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Top with Parmesan cheese and serve.