With the New Year finally here a lot of us are making resolutions and changes to our every day lives. A change I have decided to make is adding new foods to my diet and trying new recipes, some of the new items including vegan friendly foods! So today for Tasty Tuesday I'm bringing you my simple tofu parmesan recipe, and trust me nobody will even know you're using tofu in this recipe, it was delicious!!
- ½ cup fine bread crumbs
- 5 tblsp grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 package of firm or extra firm tofu
- Olive Oil
- 540 mL can of diced tomatoes
- 2 tblsp Italian Seasoning
- ½ tsp dried basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- shredded cheese, optional
- In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs, 2 tblsp Parmesan cheese, oregano, salt, and black pepper.
- Slice tofu lengthwise into 4 thick slices, and place in bowl of cold water. While that is soaking put your can of diced tomatoes into a pot with the garlic clove, basil, and and Italian seasonings, let simmer to combine.
- One at a time, press tofu slices into crumb mixture, turning to coat all sides. Heat oil in a medium-sized frying pan over medium heat. Cook tofu slices until crisp on one side. Drizzle with a bit more olive oil, turn, and brown on the other side.
- Place a thin layer of tomato sauce in an 8 inch square baking pan. Arrange tofu slices in the pan, and layer tofu then tomato sauce, tofu again, and top with remaining tomato sauce. Top with shredded cheese (if you choose) and remaining 3 tablespoons Parmesan.
- Bake at 400°F for 20 minutes.
It is that simple, use your tomato sauce layered with tofu, topped with cheese and baked!!
I would love to hear what you think.