The slow cooker is my best friend on most days, makes meals so easy! For the most part that is. Here is one of my favorites lately. I usually modify the recipe to what I have on hand in the cupboard and it is great to freeze and reuse!
Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (16 oz) can chili beans (regular size can)
- 1 (15 oz) can black bean (regular size can)
- 1 (15 oz) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato paste
- 1 (12 fl oz) can or bottle of beer - or you can use chicken broth, water, pop whatever you've got
- 2 (10 oz) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained (I use 1 large can of whatever diced tomatoes I have usually Italian)
- 1 (1.25 oz) pkg taco seasoning
- 2 whole skinless chicken breasts - you know what works best for your family, I usually use 1 big one instead of 2
- Topping for after:
- grated cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- crushed tortilla chips
- Place the onion, beans, corn, tomato paste, beer and tomatoes in the slow cooker. Add taco seasoning and stir to blend. Place chicken on top, pressing them down until covered by ingredients. Set slow cooker on low heat, cover, and cook 5 hours.
- Remove chicken breasts from the soup and shred the chicken once its cool enough to handle. Stir shredded chicken back into the soup, and continue cooking for 1-2 hours. Serve topped with shredded cheese, a few dollops of sour cream, and tortilla chips.
- And that's it, pretty simple. I cook it on low and then shred the chicken and throw it back in for a half-hour or so and it turns out fine. Pretty delicious and super easy! Makes a full slow cooker so be careful while stirring. You can also toast some tortilla shells to finish it off!
This handy recipe is sponsored in part by Noosh Catering, who are always happy to try out a new Mexican fusion dish.