If you've been following along on the last couple Tasty Tuesday posts you will remember my Sourdough Starter recipe and then the follow up with my Sourdough Bread recipe and now I'm bringing you my Simple Cinnamon Buns recipe using both of those recipes. I like to have some fresh baked goodies on hand and if you know me I love bread and cheese so having the starter on hand and needing to feed it and use it every 3-7 days is a good thing!
My daughter, Cheyenne, and I wanted to surprise Frank one night when he got home from work and she LOVES cinnamon buns so we whipped some up!
It is pretty simple if you have sourdough starter on the go, if not just use a simple dough recipe. Here are my 2 simple steps:
- Have Sourdough Starter on the go
- Mix your Sourdough Bread dough and divide it into 2 batches after you let it rise – use 1 for bread and 1 for cinnamon buns!
- Half of the sourdough bread dough
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp butter, at room temperature or to taste
- Taking the dough roll it out in the shape of a rectangle, roughly 12x14 inches.
- Spread butter evenly on the dough, use more if you prefer.
- Combine the cinnamon and brown sugar and sprinkle evenly on buttered dough.
- Roll the dough up jelly-roll style. You should have a 12-inch roll, cutting evenly with a sharp knife slice into 12 equal parts.
- Place rolls in a greased baking pan, I use a 9x13 inch glass dish, and place in a warm place to rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F, after oven is ready bake for 25 minutes, remove from oven when slightly golden brown. Cover with Glaze (recipe follows) if you would like!
- 2 Tbsp cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 Tbsp butter, room temperature
- ½ cup icing sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla
- Combine ingredients in a small mixing bowl and stir until smooth, to make a drizzle frosting add 1 Tbsp cream or milk.
- Spread or drizzle over warm cinnamon buns for a delicious treat!
A delicious treat on a cold day, I love it with a cup of coffee!