I sit here in front of the computer today going over my notes, checking the store, watching Dustin, going over my schedule for today and trying to see how I can make this work that much easier and it becomes that much harder. I am a pretty organized person don't get me wrong, at times it is just organized chaos around here but I always know what's going on or where to find something so it is easy being in a state of chaos. Sometimes it is just easier to go with the flow instead of trying to change it, like trying to paddle upstream you get nowhere fast!
I've had a nasty sinus thing going on for a week now and it is really starting to get to me I can't see straight most of the time and thinking well that's just out the window. I'm sure you've all been there at one time or another. All I want to do is just go back to bed and wake up better, not because I'm tired just because I feel like crap. Instead of taking the easy way out and going back to bed I decided to tackle this head on, with a little help from OTC drugs and mind over matter, so bare with me!
I like to get organized at night for the next day, for some reason I just wake up in a more productive mood and am ready to take things head on but last night that didn't quite work out. So today I'm starting form scratch throwing all the old stuff out the window and starting with a clean slate, and putting all the things I know work into practice!
What do I use to stay organized on a daily basis? Glad you asked, the things I can't live without:
- Big calendar on the fridge
- My smartphone, computer, iPad – and a couple apps
- Paper journals/notebooks in my most used areas
- Post-its – original and the sticky note pad version
- Grocery list on the fridge
- Note pad by the computer – every computer that is
- Sharpie pens
- Index cards – great for notes, goals, affirmations anything you want to see every day
Ok now for the juicy stuff!! Whenever I get to the point where I just want to pull my hair out and wonder what got me there in the first place I think about Albert Einsteins definition of insanity: doing the same things over and over again expecting different results. How true is that? Almost a quote I should live by, haha!
My advice to start getting organized:
- Record all of you appointments in the same place (I use Google Calendar) and share it with your family and make sure everyone is on track and can add appointments, events, or things that can't be forgotten. Best part of Google Calendar is you can sync it with almost anything – BlackBerry, iPhone, iCal, outlook, and the list keeps going
- Keep track of what you do during the day – best thing to do but it might seem redundant is to record what you do in 15 min intervals – that way you are less likely to waste time and be more productive or you can look back and have one of those aha! moments and realize where your time wasters are and what you need help with
- Don't be afraid to talk to other people – especially other Mom's – there are people out there who are in the same situation or circumstances as you or have been and can give you some pretty amazing pointers
- Celebrate in your accomplishments not at what you didn't get done during the day, you are your own worst critic – be your own best friend!
- Get an accountability partner to help you, set goals together and hold each other accountable!
I'm going to leave you with one last thought. Self doubt is having negative thoughts about yourself, so why not flip it and have an alternative statement to encourage yourself?! I like to tell myself: “look at how positive and in control of things I am, I'm empowering myself and others to exceed their goals and overcome challenges, I deserve this!“
So let's work from where we are now and get to where we want to be! Set one major goal for yourself over the next few days and I want to hear them!! I'll share mine tomorrow. Good luck and I'm here if you want to share or get some ideas. Love yourself today! xo