In sticking with the whole green theme from the last recipe I posted for laundry detergent I tried a new creation, dishwasher tabs! I had been mixing the powder detergent for awhile but I like the convenience of a tab so I thought I would give it a go. To my surprise the first trial actually turned out great!
The supplies are pretty easy all you need is borax, washing soda, epsom salts, and lemon juice. I also picked up some cheap ice cube trays at the dollar store to use just for this experiment. If you had all the ingredients for the laundry detergent you have almost everything!! The recipe is pretty simple but does take a bit to dry so I usually do it overnight.
- 1 cup Borax
- 1 cup Super Washing Soda
- ¼ cup Epsom Salt
- ⅝ cup Lemon Juice
- Combine the borax, soda, and salt make sure you combine very well so the tabs have an even consistency.
- When you add the lemon juice the powder will start foaming, perfectly normal reaction, combine until all ingredients are a little sticky.
- Take about a tablespoon full and place mixture into an ice cube tray, patting down to make it a solid cube.
- Place the tray in sunlight and let dry overnight!
I have tried the tabs out on a few loads now and they work amazing! I am actually impressed at how simple they are to make and inexpensive. The cost breakdown, remembering I didn't buy anything on sale:
- Super Washing Soda, I paid $10 for the box so 1 cup would be $1.28
- Borax, I paid $10 as well so the cost is $1.28
- Epsom Salts (dollar store was the cheapest), .13 cents
- Lemon Juice, .54 cents
- Ice Cube Trays (dollar store), 2 for $1
TOTAL COST for 32 Tabs – $4.23 with trays or $3.23 without
PER TAB – .13 (with trays) or .10 (without trays)
I wanted to give you the accurate amount I paid including the trays but most of you probably have some on hand so I took that out of the calculation. For the amount of effort that went into making the tabs I would happily do it again!
Try it out and let me know what you think!