It is that time of year when we have cherries growing on the tree but what to do with them?! After experimenting with a few recipes I came up with this quick and easy cherry pie filling it is so simple you'll love it and you can it and save it to enjoy a delicious cherry pie year round!
Quick and Easy Cherry Pie Filling
- 4 cups tart red cherries pitted
- 1 cup white sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 tbsp lemon juice optional
- Place cherries into a pot over medium heat, and cover, heat cherries until they release their juice and come to a simmer, about 10 to 15 minutes. Stir often.
- In a bowl, whisk the sugar with cornstarch until smooth; pour the mixture into the hot cherries and juice, and thoroughly combine. Return to low heat, bring to a simmer, and cook until the filling has thickened, about 2 minutes; remove from heat, let cool, and use as pie filling or put in a mason jar and preserve for a later date!
- For a more tart flavour add the lemon juice if the cherries are too sweet
I might try this with some other fruit to see how it turns out, I'm sure it will be delish, good luck!