It is that time of year when we have cherries growing on the tree but what to do with them?! After experimenting with a few recipes I came up with this quick and easy cherry pie filling it is so simple you'll love it and you can can it and save it for later to enjoy cherry pie year round!
I might try this with some other fruit to see how it turns out, I'm sure it will be delish, good luck!
- 4 cups pitted tart red cherries
- 1 cup white sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 tblsp lemon juice (opt)
- Place cherries into a pot over medium heat, and cover, heat cherries until they release their juice and come to a simmer, about 10 to 15 minutes. Stir often.
- In a bowl, whisk the sugar with cornstarch until smooth; pour the mixture into the hot cherries and juice, and thoroughly combine. Return to low heat, bring to a simmer, and cook until the filling has thickened, about 2 minutes; remove from heat, let cool, and use as pie filling or put in a mason jar and preserve for a later date!
- For a more tart flavour add the lemon juice if the cherries are too sweet