I don't know about you guys but our house is starting to look like a pumpkin patch!! Between the pumpkins, on our front steps to the garland, we have hanging in the living room we have pumpkins everywhere and the kids absolutely love it.
Today we decided to bring together our love of pumpkins and popsicles to make this adorable popsicle stick pumpkin kids craft.
Popsicle Stick Pumpkin Kids Craft
What you will need
- popsicle sticks (Around 10 if you use the larger ones, you will need more if you use the smaller ones.)
- orange and green paint
- 1 or 2 pipe cleaners
- eyes (if you have googly eyes they work great, if not a marker will work just as well)
- glitter (optional but always fun)
You can also pick up the supplies at your local dollar store, it is one of our favorite places to fill up the craft bin.
Popsicle Stick Pumpkins – Step by Step
1) The first thing you will need to do is paint the popsicle sticks. We just use ordinary washable kids paint when we do our projects. It works great and you don't have to worry about the kids getting it all over their clothes. Paint one of the sticks green and the rest orange. It will take a couple of coats because the wood soaks up the paint pretty quickly.
2) When applying the last coat of paint we added some glitter! Why?? Because everything is better with glitter! 😉
3) After the paint is dry you will need to grab your glue and start gluing the sticks together. We used 8 sticks for the pumpkin's face. We found that it is easier to use some aluminum foil as our work surface because when we used paper we found that the paper stuck to our pumpkin and it was hard to remove without removing the paint. While the sticks were drying together I kept moving it around a little so it wouldn't stick to the foil.
4) Once the glue has dried turn over your pumpkin and glue two sticks across the middle and the bottom in the opposite direction to help hold the stick together. Sometimes these crafts get banged around together when I pack them up and I wanted to make sure we were able to display it year after year.
5) Glue the green stick to the back of the pumpkin sticking out the top middle so it looks like the stem. Glue a pipe cleaner on each corner of the back of your pumpkin so that you can have a handle to hang it with and add on eyes and a mouth. Give your kids a great big hug for completing their very own popsicle pumpkin kids craft!
Looking for more fun fall crafts check out some of our favorites – 5 Fun and Easy Fall Crafts!
What's your favorite fall craft?
This post contains affiliate links, thank you for your continued support