There is nothing more delicious than a homemade waffle any day of the week and with this recipe of whole grain waffles, you'll be full after only one!
I freeze them flat on a cookie sheet and then put them in Ziploc bags after that and all you have to do is warm them up in the microwave for 30-45 seconds and they're ready to eat. A lot healthier than store-bought frozen waffles but a little more time-consuming.
Grab the waffle iron and play with the recipe until you find the perfect combination for your family! What I like is these waffles are healthy and delicious any day of the week!
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 3/4 cups skim milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil or substitute with yogurt or applesauce
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup ground flax seed
- 1/4 cup wheat germ (or ground flax seed whatever you have on hand)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, oil, applesauce, and vanilla. Beat in whole wheat flour, ground flax seed, wheat germ, all-purpose flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt until batter is smooth.
- Preheat a waffle iron, and coat with cooking spray. Pour batter into waffle iron in batches, and cook until crisp and golden brown.
As always I would love to hear from you!
What's your favorite breakfast food?