One of my favorite things to do as a child was creating with playdough. Now that I have kids I've noticed the quality of store bought playdough is decreasing while the price is increasing. I did some experimenting to find the perfect recipe and wanted to share this homemade playdough with you!
Since pumpkin is extremely popular this fall I thought I would incorporate that into the recipe! This workable edible pumpkin spice playdough will keep the kidlets busy for hours! Have fun creating.
Homemade Pumpkin Spice Playdough
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice (I used McCormick brand)
- orange soft gel food coloring paste (you can also use food coloring)
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup salt
- 2 tablespoons cream of tartar (this helps keep your play-doh from going rancid)
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil (I used vegetable oil)
- Add flour, pumpkin spice, cinnamon, salt, cram of tartar, and oil into a medium sauce pan. In a bowl add the water and orange soft gel food coloring (or regular food coloring) and mix well.
- In a small bowl (I used my large measuring cup) mix water with food coloring paste (or regular food coloring if that is what you are using).
- Slowly add colored water into the sauce pan with the other ingredients and mix well. Cook on medium heat for 3-4 minutes. It will begin to pull away from the sides of the pan and form a ball in the center of your pan. Remove from pot and cool. Once your dough is cool knead it all up and smell!!! The aroma is wonderful.....if you want the smell stronger just add more pumpkin spice or cinnamon and knead it again.
- Grab your rolling pin, cookie cutters, pie pan or anything else you can think of and sit down with your kids and have a great time playing with your own Edible pumpkin Spice Play-dough and don't forget to sniff!!
Have fun creating I know we did!