Is Your Home Making You Unhealthy?


Your home should feel like your safe space, but what if it was actually making you unwell without you realising it? There is much greater awareness surrounding indoor pollution these days than there was in the past, brought on by a better understanding of the damaging effects of asbestos and lead paint.

If you’re worried about the safety of your home, here are some common things to look out for.

pasted image 0 32Image credit: Wikimedia

Dust mites

Dust mites love the warmth of your home and can easily find cosy places to live all over the house. If you’ve had your mattress for a long time, or haven’t washed your favourite armchair for a while, then they could be teeming with dust mites.

Although all homes will have some dust mites, anyone that suffers with allergies or asthma may find that their presence causes them respiratory issues. If this is the case, make sure you regularly wash any infected areas with hot water and dry them thoroughly. Mite-proof covers are one of the most effective ways of combating dust-mites as they prevent the mites getting from your furniture to you.


Another common cause of health problems in the home is the buildup of mold. If your home is damp or has ventilation problems, then it is likely that mold will be growing somewhere, even if it is not readily apparent. Check exterior walls, your heating system and anywhere that there could be a leak and act quickly to remove any mold that you see.

Mold can cause a wide range of health problems from skin conditions to respiratory illnesses. Children are particularly at risk, with studies indicating that almost a third are allergic to mold, making it second only to pollen.

Conventional cleaning products can sometimes struggle to remove mould, in which case enlisting the help of professionals is often advised. ServiceMaster Restoration by Zaba utilises the latest techniques and equipment to remove mold and help prevent it from returning. Also, instead of simply removing the mold from your home, try to stop it at source by eliminating damp where possible.


It may be difficult to believe that the water that comes out of your tap may actually be bad for your health. Even if you live in a developed country, the water that you receive is not necessarily safe, certainly not all the time.

If you are worried about your water quality, there are test kits available that you can use at home that will inform you of any contaminates, as well as your water’s hardness and pH.

Your cleaning products

Even cleaning your home could end up making it more dangerous for you to live in. Choose your cleaning products carefully and look for any that are marked “green” if you can. Also, make sure that the area that you are cleaning is well ventilated to reduce exposure to harmful fumes and wear gloves if advised to do so.

In most cases, your home helps protect you from danger, but make sure you’re aware of the risks posed by indoor pollution. Ultimately, if you take care of your home, it will help take care of you.

Leave A Reply

CommentLuv badge