Often wintertime is a marker for nasty colds, respiratory illnesses and the dreaded flu. There are things you can do to keep yourself healthy and avoid the doctor's office this season. Hopefully these 8 simple tips can keep you healthy this winter season:
- Wash Your Hands – The number one way to keep yourself healthy and avoid getting sick is to wash your hands often – especially before meals, after using the restroom, and before preparing any food or drink. Make sure to wash your hands whenever you might have come in contact with someone who might be carrying germs. Washing your hands with soap and warm water for at least 30 seconds is best, sing the A-B-C's to make sure you have the proper timing!
- Stay Hydrated – When your body is dehydrated, it is more at risk of getting sick. Keep your body hydrated with plenty of water. A good rule of thumb is to drink half of your body weight in ounces per day. So if you weigh 200 lbs, you should aim to drink 100 ounces of water per day or 12.5 cups.
- Get Some Sun – Not only does everyone need a little vitamin D to keep them healthy, but they need it to stay happy as well. To avoid the wintertime doldrums, de-stress, and get that extra dose of vitamin D, make sure to schedule in a little sunshine into your day. Open the windows and let the light in, or take a walk whenever you can soak up a few fleeting moments of sunshine.
- Use a Humidifier – During the winter months, you spend a lot of time inside being blasted by heaters, wrapped up in extra layers, with thick socks and boots to keep your feel warm. As a result, your body often pays the price with moisture loss. To stay healthy, you need to replace that moisture. Use a humidifier at night when you are sleeping, and make sure to apply lotions and hydrating creams liberally and often.
- Eat Right – Keeping a healthy diet is important year round, but it is perhaps even more important during the winter months when illness seems to run rampant. A primarily plant-based diet, with lots of fiber and dark, leafy greens will give you the nutrients you need to keep your body healthy and boost your immune system. Why not go meatless!
- Get Your Vitamins – Especially if you are not able to get much fresh fruit and vegetables in your diet, you might consider supplementing your healthy diet with extra vitamins. Vitamins C and D should be your primary focus for boosting your immune system.
- Go Herbal – This winter, look to herbal teas to warm you up and give you a healthy boost. Green teas have healthy antioxidants, and other herbs like Echinacea can help reduce the risk of catching a cold as well as cut the length it sticks around.
- Exercise – During the winter, it can be easy to spend a lot of time curled up in bed or on the couch. It is important to keep moving, though. In order to stay fit and healthy to fight off all those dreaded germs, look to exercises that you can do indoors. Use our simple exercise printable to make sure you're getting enough activity during the month!
You can avoid a lot of visits to the doctor by following these easy tips to stay healthy this winter.
What's your best tip to stay healthy during the winter?
This post contains affiliate links, thank you for your continued support