I know what you're thinking, easy quiona salad what the heck is that?! Well quinoa (KEEN-wa) is an excellent source of fibre, magnesium, iron, and phosphorus not to mention a complete protein and naturally gluten free. Trust me I was nervous at first and thought that it was pronounced guano, you know from Ace Ventura bat poop, scary I know. Anyways, it is actually really tasteless and pulls the flavor from other items in the dish you make it with. Now that we're trying to eat healthier we decided to give it a try and I am not disappointed, last night we made a salad and protein bars with it and were really happy with the outcome and taste! We'll definitely be using it in more dishes. So without further rambling I bring you Easy Quinoa Salad!
|Easy Quinoa Salad|
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups water
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp greek seasoning
- 1/2 cucumber, diced
- 1/2 diced red bell pepper
- Fresh chives
- 1 jalapeño or other favorite hot pepper diced, optional
- Combine quinoa and water in a pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. While that is cooking prepare the remaining ingredients.
- Once pot comes to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes, or until water is absorbed. Remove and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Serve immediately or chill for 30 minutes and serve cold as a salad.
I combine the olive oil, lemon juice and greek seasoning and then add it to the mixture but it isn't necessary I just find it mixes in better.