I've had a lot of comments recently about Canadian recipes and especially nanaimo bars! You're gonna love this, it seems like a lot of work but it is actually simple once you get started. Delicious and works great if you have people over for bite size desserts!
|A Canadian Nanaimo Bar Recipe|
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 5 Tblsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 Tblsp instant vanilla pudding mix
- 3 Tblsp milk
- Fun thing to do: add a couple drops of food coloring for a fun twist!
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Grease a 9×13-inch dish. To make the crust, melt 1/2 cup of butter in a large saucepan, stir in the sugar, cocoa powder, and vanilla extract until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat, mix in the egg until the mixture is well-combined, then stir in graham cracker crumbs. Pack the mixture into the bottom of the prepared baking dish, smooth it into an even layer, and refrigerate until cooled, about 30 min.
- For the filling: beat together icing sugar, 1/2 cup of softened butter, pudding mix, and milk until the filling is smooth and fluffy. Spread the filling over the cooled crust, and return to fridge for 30 more min.
- And for the topping, melt chocolate with 2 tablespoons of butter over very low heat. Stir until the mixture is warm (not hot) and pourable. Pour the topping over the cooled filling, spreading the topping with a spatula or knife to cover. Return the dish to the fridge to cool for about 15 min. When the topping is cool but not yet hard, cut into squares; return to refrigerator to finish chilling.
Servings depends on size of squares you cut, it is a bit sweet so don't go too big to start with! I like to add coconut to the crust for a little extra flavour but it is up to you.
Let me know how much you like this truly Canadian recipe!