The on-going pandemic has ruined many planned summer vacations. However, as restrictions continue to lift, now can be a great time to plan a trip. If you crave a mini-getaway, there are many reasons to visit Kansas City, including its rich cultural heritage, shopping spots, and many restaurants.
When you’re vacationing to a new city, one of the first things that you will need to do is plan your budget. Your budget shouldn’t just include traveling, but also exploration.
Kansas City offers various attractions, shops, restaurants, and fun activities and is far cheaper than many high-profile destinations such as New York City, Chicago, or Los Angeles. Apart from this, it offers affordable amenities, such as high-quality hotels that fall into your budget.
2. Historical Landmarks
Many people look forward to visiting historical landmarks on their trips to experience. Most of these are next to each other, and if you’re in the mood for a stroll, you can visit shopping centers and stop by famous fountains for a breather. If you’re looking to indulge in Kansas City’s rich heritage, here are some places to check out:
- Fort Larned– This is a well-preserved fort that once accommodated soldiers during the 1860s to 1870s. It is an authentic army post that lies on the Santa Fe Trail. You can explore the history and nature trail, participate in educational programs, or visit the picnic area to spend the day with family.
- Union Station– If you’re hoping to experience history and entertainment, there may be no better place than the Union Station. It is a 100-year-old train station that has now become a popular hub for entertainment and culture. You can check out national exhibits, such as science city and the model railroad experience, or you can watch 3D movies on a giant screen. Apart from this, there are plenty of restaurants, stores, and event spaces.
- Crown Center– You can find this shopping center and neighborhood in the heart of Kansas City, Missouri. It offers entertainment, dining, and shopping and has something for everyone. Some of the key attractions include Legoland, an aquarium, and ice skating in the winter. If you visit Kansas City on a particularly chilly day, checking out the Crown Center can give you respite from the cold.
- Cathedral of the Immaculate Inception– This beautifully restored church includes a massive prayer hall and new white pillars marble flooring. The exterior portrays a simple red and white brick that holds together a gigantic golden dome. The church holds regular mass and hosts concerts and other events.
3. Boutiques and Shops
Kansas City offers high-end shopping malls and boutiques. However, you can also find small gift shops around the city. Some of the well-known shopping malls include City Club Plaza, Kansas City Plaza, Oak Park Mall, and Legend Outlets Kansas City.
You can also find boutiques, such as Westside Storey, Vetro Vixen, and Dear Society. Many of these are close to each other, and you can choose from the hotels near Legends Outlets in Kansas City to commute easily to the rest of them.
4. The Vibrant Food and Drink Scene
Many people visit Kansas City for all the food choices that they offer. There are plenty of bars, pubs, lounges, grills, restaurants, and cafes found around the city. The city is well-known for its BBQ ribs drenched in the city's beloved signature tomato-based BBQ sauce.
However, that’s not all the food the city offers; it's also known for locally-sourced food and artisan coffee. You can visit some of the best spots, such as The Antler Room, The Fox and Pearl, and Freshwater, among others.
5. Outdoor Attractions
There are plenty of socially-distanced outdoor attractions that you can enjoy in the beautiful fall weather. Here are some of your choices:
- Horseback Riding- There are over 300 miles of equestrian trails where you can ride through woodlands, open prairies, and streams.
- Campout at State Parks- You can find many state parks to spend the weekend under the stars, hike on nearby trails, and golf.
- Cyle the Flint Hills Nature Trail- The 117-mile Flint Hills Nature Trail may be perfect if you want to spend the day cycling through trails near historic sites and wildlife.
- Go Fishing at Milford Lake- Milford Lake is one of the state’s largest lakes and may be the best fishing spot. You can spend the day waiting for a bite over the scenic view.
Stay Safe On Your Trip
There are plenty of reasons why fall may be the perfect time to visit Kansas City. If you do take a trip, it's only natural to want to head out and explore. However, make sure that you take the necessary safety precautions before-hand.