With my recent healthy eating plan I've been looking for a light and lean source of protein and one of my favorites is Turkey! Not only is it packed with vitamins and essential nutrients but we're also making a healthy choice for the family.
Turkey is easy to grill and can easily find ground meat, burgers and sausages at your local grocery store. I love using the ground as a substitute while making Mexican dishes and homemade meatballs. It wasn't just a simple change and I was always looking for healthy choices in our everyday meals while keeping things tasty and exciting.
Here are a few tips to help you incorporate Canadian Turkey into your meal plan:
- Turkey is a great substitute in chili, fajitas, sloppy joes, gyros, cabbage rolls, spaghetti and the list goes on
- I always prep my pan with olive oil or coconut oil as Turkey is lean and easily sticks to the pan
- Substitute Turkey for equal amount of meat protein in recipe
Still need a delicious and nutrient-packed recipe idea? You're going to love Turkey Sausage and Rapini Pasta! This dish is delicious served with a fresh green salad, sliced veggies and a baguette.
Turkey Sausage and Rapini Pasta Recipe
- 450 gr pasta of your choice
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4 turkey sausages
- 2 bunches rapini
- 4 tbsps olive oil
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsps salt for boiling
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ tsp hot pepper
- Salt a large pot of water with 1 tbsp salt and bring to boil.
- Prepare rapini by rinsing thoroughly and trimming stems.
- Boil rapini for 5 minutes and remove from water.
- Salt another large pot of water with the other 1 tbsp of salt and cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Grill sausages over medium heat until cooked through, 8-10 minutes.
- Heat a frying pan with 2 tbsps olive oil over medium heat.
- Crush garlic.
- Add rapini, salt to taste, pepper, hot pepper and garlic to large frying pan.
- Saute over medium heat until cooked through, 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Slice up sausages.
- Add pasta, 2 tbsps of olive oil and sausages to rapini mixture.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Top with Parmesan cheese and serve.
I've teamed up with Turkey Farmers of Canada for this great giveaway for one lucky ready so you can get turkey on your table!
Canadian Turkey #FreshIdea Giveaway – FINISHED
1 Winner each will receive: $75 Canadian prepaid Visa Gift Card Giveaway Open to: Canadian Residents, except where prohibited Ends: June 15, 2016 The fine print: All entries must be received by 11:59 pm MST 06/15/16. The winners will be notified via email and have 48 hrs to respond. If no response with 48 hrs a new winner will be chosen. Open to Canada only, prize supplied by Turkey Farmers of Canada. Good luck!