The holidays can be a busy time for everyone whether we're staying home, heading out to visit family or going on vacation. Travel can be challenging this time of year because of time constraints, more people in the airports and on the roads and of course family drama. I'm sharing a few of my tips for successful holiday travel so you can be less stressed and enjoy your time away.
- Do your research – this might seem obvious but many people don't bother looking into basic things like road closures, extra waiting time at airport security and even weather at your destination. Do a little research before you go so you can avoid surprise or disappointment.
- Insurance – be sure that your medical and travel insurance coverage is adequate for your trip and destination, you don't want any surprises. Take a few minutes to compare travel insurance and make an informed decision.
- Itinerary – during the holidays it is a good idea to let someone know your itinerary in case there are any last minute changes. Don't forget your boarding passes and any special documentation needed if you're headed to a new destination.
- Road conditions – winter travel can be challenging especially if you are in a region that experiences extreme weather conditions. If you plan to rent a car at your destination knowing what conditions to expect is extremely important. Check the road reports before you head out, have an emergency kit in the vehicle and always back a few extra blankets because we all need to make safe winter driving a priority.
- Pack wisely – keep in mind that during the holidays if you are visiting family and friends you might be bringing a few extra gifts back with you. I like to put a backpack in my suitcase so I have a little extra room on my return trip.
Wherever you're headed this holiday season be sure to plan ahead, avoiding disappointment is your best way to keep stress levels down and enjoy holiday travel.
What's your best holiday travel tip?