The winter season means cold weather it on the way.
When the weather is bad or especially cold, kids can get a bit restless staying indoors all day. Not to mention trying to entertain them without pulling out your hair. I've put together a few ideas to help keep the kids happy and prevent cabin fever this winter.
There are plenty of things that can be done indoors that keep kids busy, learning, and having fun no matter how yucky it gets outside. A few of our family favorites include:
- Arts and Crafts – The possibilities for arts and crafts projects are endless. You could potentially have a different-themed project for just about every day. We stock up on supplies at the dollar store and it gives the kids hours of crafting fun.
- Music – Most children love music, and you can keep them happy by letting them make their own. Spend a craft day making their own instruments, and then set up a whole band.
- Pretend Time – Dig out the old Halloween costumes and have fun! My kids love putting on plays or creating a game of their own.
- Indoor Camping – One of the most fun ways to play pretend is to go camping indoors. Whether it's in a child's room or the living room, pitch a tent or build a fort. You can add to this experience with some simple crafty additions, such as pretending to go fishing in the bathtub and building a fire with cardboard tubes and some colored paper. When it starts to get dark, hand your kids a flashlight and listen to them tell you spooky stories.
- Learn to Cook – Getting stuck indoors is a great opportunity to get a little help in the kitchen. Let your kids help you bake a loaf of bread, decorate cookies, or get vegetables ready for soup. This might also be a great way to encourage your kids to eat things they ordinarily wouldn't.
- Games – Whether you are playing board games, hide-and-seek, or making up games of your own, you can pass a lot of time just simply playing games with your kids. You might be surprised how much fun a simple game of Simon Says can be.
- Exercise – To pass the time, tire the kids out, and stay healthy, get some indoor exercise. Your kids will love doing fun aerobics videos with you, or trying out some beginner's yoga. Not to mention the endless fun that simply dancing around the house can bring.
Hopefully that gave you a few new ideas for indoor activities you can do with your kids. I find every year we always find new things to do and creative ways to play.
When the weather does cooperate, try to get out of the house whenever possible. There is something magical about rolling around in the snow, having a snowball fight and enjoying some winter sunshine. Some of the things we like to do are:
- Playing in the Snow – What kid doesn't love building a snowman or making snow angels? Just a couple hours out playing in the snow will not only provide lots of fun, but there's almost nothing better for getting out all that pent-up energy.
- Helping Out – Whether it is helping out with little chores like shovelling snow from the sidewalk, or taking hot meals and blankets to people who need them the most, get the kids involved. They could learn a lot from a few simple chores, and have fun in the process.
The favorite part of mine after playing outdoors in the snow is how well the kids sleep at night. I think all the effort that goes into putting on snow gear and walking in the snow uses a bit more energy than normal activity. Either way we all have fun and love sipping hot chocolate indoors once we get inside again.
Fighting the winter doldrums and preventing cabin fever is easier then you think! Enjoy the winter and all the season has to offer. Who knows you might even have some fun.
What's your favorite activity to do during the winter?