I have to tell you a little secret! Â When it comes to chili, sloppy joes or anything that is super messy it is like a comfort food to me. Â There is just something about biting into a big sloppy bun filled with meat and cheese! Â But that might just be me. Â I like to make this quick and easy chili cheese dog recipe in the summer for an easy bbq meal that works for kids and adults.
The best part is you can make the chili part ahead of time and keep it warm in your slow cooker so it only takes a couple minutes to warm up the hot dogs and buns and you're done.
Quick and Easy Melt in Your Mouth Chili Cheese Dogs
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 T Chili Powder
- 2 T Tomato Paste
- 1T Ketchup
- 1 T hot sauce/tabasco
- ½ cup Salsa
- ½ cup water
- 8 Hot Dogs
- 8 Hot Dog Buns
- 8 oz Cheddar Cheese, grated
- Diced Onions (optional)
- Mustard (optional)
- Brown ground beef and drain.
- Add onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, tomato paste, ketchup, salsa and ½ cup water.
- Mix and simmer 20 minutes.
- Heat hot dogs in boiling water or grill on the bbq.
- Toast buns in 300 degree oven or bbq until slightly crisp.
- Squirt mustard on bun and insert hot dog.
- Top with chili mixture then diced onions and finally cheese.
- Serve immediately.
You can use this as your basic recipe and add beans, pickles, caramelized onions or an assortment of cheese to add a different twist to the dish. Â Pair the chili cheese dogs with homemade fries or chips and you'll be well on your way to making your guests love you at the next backyard bbq! Â Need more chili ideas? Â Check out my roundup ofÂ 15 fabulous chili recipes.
Remember keep it simple and easy for less cleanup and more fun!
Whatâ€™s your favorite topping on chili cheese dogs?