I'm just like all of you trying to find a way to save a few dollars, which is why I am sharing my quick and easy homemade version of shake and bake! It is so simple you'll wonder why you haven't tried it before! I use it to make my chicken parmesan with my homemade pizza sauce; the recipe is so versatile you can make a lot of different variations with what you have on hand.
It is pretty simple just through your favorite seasonings in with the fine bread crumbs to create your mixture! You can spice it up or add a secret ingredient to the mix. The best part is there are no preservatives, and you can make it just the way your family likes it! We're ready for the oven!
- 3 cup Bread Crumbs
- ¼ cup Vegetable Oil
- 2 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Onion Powder
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- ½ tsp Chili Powder
- ½ tsp Parsley
- ½ tsp Basil
- ½ tsp Oregano
- Combine all ingredients and mix until well blended and there are no big clumps.
- Transfer to an airtight container (if you aren't using it right away).
- Preheat oven to 400 for Pork or 425 for Chicken.
- Pour some of the mixture into large zippered bag.
- Wet each piece of meat and shake off excess water.
- Place in bag and shake to coat. Shake off excess breading place on baking sheet.
If you want to save a little more grab the ingredients at your local dollar store, they even carry inexpensive containers and zippered bags.
Homemade shake and bake is that quick and easy! If you make a full batch of this recipe you will have some to spare for another meal. I like my chicken a bit crispy, so I broil it right at the end to give it a crispy crust. I hope your family enjoys this as much as we do!
Make a meal plan this week and add this recipe, there is nothing better than a wholesome sit-down family meal. For us when the meals are planned we can all help out in the kitchen and spend a little extra time together.
What's your favorite weeknight meal?