Did you know Bananas have been popular in North America since the late 1880s?
The first recipe for Banana Cream Pie appeared in 1901 out of Chicago, IL and was published in the Women’s Exchange Cook Book. Retro desserts are gaining in popularity. Gay Lea has added flaked coconut to the base of this household favorite and a dollop of their deliciously creamy Coconut Whipped Cream to top off the pie! You're going to love this Coconut Banana Cream Pie recipe.
Coconut Banana Cream Pie Recipe
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup each cocoa powder and granulated sugar
- ¼ cup sweetened flaked coconut
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup cubed Salted Butter
- 1 egg yolk
- Pulse flour with cocoa, sugar, coconut and salt in a food processor. Pulse in butter until finely crumbed. Whisk egg yolk with 2 tbsp (30 mL) ice water; pulse into flour mixture until it clumps together.
- Press dough evenly into the bottom and 1½ inches (4 cm) up the sides of a 10-inch (25 cm) springform pan. Prick with a fork. Freeze for 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Bake, on a lower rack, for 15 minutes or until set. Cool to room temperature.
- 2½ cups milk
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 tbsp Salted Butter
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 3bananas, thinly sliced
- 1 canister Gay Lea Real Coconut Whipped Cream
- Toasted coconut
- Whisk milk with sugar and cornstarch in a heavy saucepan set over medium heat. Bring to a boil, stirring often, until thickened. Whisk some of the hot milk mixture into egg yolks. Whisk back into remaining milk. Cook, whisking, for 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in butter and vanilla.
- Line cooled shell with bananas. Pour hot filling over top to cover bananas completely. Cool to room temperature; chill for at least 2 hours or up to 2 days. Just before serving, remove ring and arrange on serving platter. Pipe coconut whipped cream to cover custard completely and garnish with toasted coconut.
Gay Lea Real Coconut Whipped Cream is the perfect addition to Banana Cream Pie, trust me you'll wonder why you never thought of it before! Check your favorite grocery store to get your hands on a canister of deliciousness today.
Made from pure coconut cream, a quick dollop of Gay Lea’s Real Coconut Whipped Cream adds tropical flavor to any treat, dessert or beverage.
- Non-dairy and lactose-free, making it a great option for vegans or consumers who are lactose intolerant
- Cholesterol-free, so it is a healthier choice to add to your next sweet treat
- Contains only 13% fat
- Very creamy texture
- Ideal as a topping for fruit, desserts and hot beverages
I hope you enjoy this delicious twist on an old favorite of mine! Banana Cream Pie might just be my new (old) favorite dessert.
What's your favorite dessert?
This post is brought to you by Gay Lea