Happy Canada Day! There is no better way to celebrate then gathering around the table with loved ones enjoying the sunshine and conversation. I'm bringing you some amazing recipes today from a Canadian chef that you're going to love. Invite your family and friends over for a feast to celebrate Canada Day! Enjoy these three delicious recipes from Canadian born-and-bred Chef Stefan Czapalay for Clearwater Seafoods, a company started off the coast of Nova Scotia.
Chef Stefan Czapalay recipes for Clearwater Seafoods
All of Clearwater's products are sustainably caught and maintain their freshness by utilizing frozen-at-sea technology. As well, the Scallops & Sauce dish used in the first two recipes listed above won a Canadian Grand Prix New Product Award this month.
Warm Kale and Chorizo Salad with Patagonian Sun-Dried Tomato Scallops & Sauce
- 1 Package of Clearwater Sun-Dried Tomtato Scallops and Sauce
- 4 cups of washed kale, chopped
- 2 Chorizo sausages, crumbled
- 2 strips of bacon, chopped
- ½ onion, diced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 small tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 small carrot, diced fine
- ½ yellow pepper, diced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 lemons
- 1 Tbsp sherry vinegar
- Sea Salt, To taste
- Black Pepper,To taste
- In a large pot of boiling salted water par cook the sausages for 3 minutes, remove and chop
- Place cook kale in the same water for 1 minute, remove and cool under cold water
- In a small sauté pan warm the Clearwater Seafoods Sun-Dried Tomato Scallops & Sauce as per instructions and reserve
- In a large sauté pan, cook bacon and when half way add chorizo, carrot and onion and continue cooking until sausage and bacon are lightly browned and onion and carrot are tender
- Add tomatoes and peppers for 30 seconds.
- Add kale and mix well over the heat for 1 minute.
- Season well with salt and pepper and stir in juice and zest of lemon, sherry vinegar and olive oil
On two large round plates make “nests” of the warm Kale salad and leave the center empty
Divide the Sun-Dried Tomato Scallops & Sauce between the two plates and sprinkle with green onions
** Grate fresh Parmigiano cheese over the top if desired
Chefs Note: For a lighter version omit bacon and sausages and use Olive oil to sauté the onion and carrot
Carbonara with Clearwater Garlic Cream Scallops & Sauce
- 1 pkg. of Clearwater Garlic Cream Scallops & Sauce
- ½ Cup bacon lardons
- 1 tbsp. garlic, minced
- ½ cup onions, diced
- ¼ cup white wine (if desired)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 egg yolks
- 15 oz. fettuccini, cooked
- ½ cup Parmesan Reggiano, finely grated
- 2 green onions, chopped on bias
- 2 tbsp. butter, unsalted
- 1 tsp. pepper, black
- Sea salt to taste
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the fettuccini pasta until al dente. Drain and toss with 1 tbsp. of olive oil.
- In a large skillet on medium high heat, add chopped bacon and cook until slightly crispy, remove and set aside. Add 1 tbsp. of olive oil to the skillet and add diced onions. Sweat then add minced garlic and wine if desired.
- In a small sauté pan warm the scallops and sauce as per instructions.
- Return bacon to skillet with the drained cooked fettuccini. Toss.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat egg yolks, slowing add Garlic Cream sauce and continue to beat fast. Do not let the eggs curdle.
- Add the egg mixture back to the Clearwater Garlic Cream Scallops & Sauce and stir into Fettuccini.
- Stir in the Parmesan Reggiano, green onions and butter.
- Season to preference and enjoy.
Rosemary Maple Bacon Wrapped Sea Scallops
If you want all three recipes you can download this recipe card thanks to Chef Stefan Czapalay and Clearwater Seafoods.
Enjoy the sunshine and have fun celebrating Canada Day!