I've partnered with Canadian Turkey to bring you this delicious recipe and giveaway.
Turkey seems to be a staple for holidays and big get-togethers but I've quickly fell in love with how versatile it can be every day. From pasta dishes, salads and even stuffed turkey breasts we've been trying new recipes and realizing that turkey has become a staple in our home. Turkey is a light and lean protein option full of vitamins and minerals.
Turkey is easy to grill and can be found at your local grocery store as ground meat, burgers, sausages and numerous different cuts. I love using the ground as a substitute while making Mexican dishes and homemade meatballs. I'm always looking for ways to make healthy choices while keeping things tasty and exciting.
Keep on Grilling with Canadian Turkey!
This summer many Canadians will be searing, roasting, braising and even smoking a variety of turkey cuts to create quick and easy meals for family and friends. Easily cut down on food prep time by marinating your turkey ahead of time and choose cuts that cook up fast so you need to watch over them or larger cuts that you can cook low and slow with little supervision.
My favorite part of cooking on the bbq is easy clean up! You can throw some veggies on the grill alongside your meat and have a whole meal cooked up right on the bbq.
Cedar Plank Grilled Turkey Breast Roast with Charred Tomato Salsa Recipe
- 3 lb Canadian turkey breast roast, boneless and skin-on
- 2 tsp salt
- ¾ inch thick cedar plank, soaked at least 6 hrs to overnight
- 1 cup white wine or beer
- ½ cup olive oil
- 6 cloves crushed garlic
- 4 sprigs of sage
- Combine marinade ingredients in a medium-sized deep glass bowl or Ziploc bag. Marinate the turkey breast roast for a minimum of 2 hrs, turning at least once every hour to coat.
- Wipe the roast of any excess marinade. Season with salt.
- Place roast on cedar plank.
- Heat BBQ to medium. Cook the roast over indirect heat (turn one burner off and place plank over this burner. Leave the other burners on).
- Cook for 50 mins – 1 ½ hrs until meat is cooked through and registers
- °F (74°C) on a meat thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the meat
- (Heat setting and cook time will depend on the power of your BBQ.)
- Once cooked, remove the roast from the grill and let rest for 20 mins before slicing.
- While the roast is resting, make the tomato salsa.
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grill tomatoes over high heat until soft and blistered, 3-6 mins. Leave the tomatoes on the vine or use a grill basket for easier handling.
- Remove from heat and season with olive oil, thyme and vinegar. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with sliced roast.
Here are some tips to help you e the most flavor out of your turkey grilling recipes:
- Dry and wet rubs work great on turkey cuts, experiment with your favorite herbs and spices to enhance the taste and texture of the turkey.
- Flip often! To avoid burn spots and achieve even browning and crisping flip your turkey often when cooking over direct heat.
- When cooking on indirect head leave the turkey alone. For even cooking on indirect heat you can achieve perfectly grilled turkey by not flip or turn very often.
- A meat thermometer is your friend. Know exactly when your meat is done by using a meat thermometer to check doneness and avoid overcooking.
You can cook your entire meal on the BBQ – appetizers, side dishes, vegetables and even desserts can be cooked over the grill. Visit canadianturkey.ca to explore all kind of amazing grilled turkey recipes and meal ideas.
I’ve teamed up with Canadian Turkey for this great giveaway where one lucky reader will win an Amazon.ca gift card!
Canadian Turkey #GrillCdnTurkey Giveaway
1 Winner each will receive: $75 Amazon.ca Gift Card
Giveaway Open to: Canadian Residents, except where prohibited
Ends: September 13, 2017
The fine print: All entries must be received by 11:59 pm MST 09/13/17. The winners will be notified via email and have 48 hrs to respond. If no response with 48 hrs a new winner will be chosen. Open to Canada only, prize supplied by Canadian Turkey.